The Student News Site of Stafford High School

SHS Publications

SHS Publications

SHS Publications

Unruly’ Behavior Leads to Change

What to expect for Kings Dominion Halloween Haunt
photo by Kings Dominion
Original Pictures from the Kings Dominion Haunt Website

Over the years, Halloween Haunt has seen numerous changes to its policies and overall attractions just like its main domain, Kings Dominion. But this year’s changes could put a halt to Halloween Haunt’s younger audience’s plans to join the fright fest. 

Teenagers have flocked to Kings Dominion Halloween Haunt to celebrate the spooky season with their friends in the park’s assortment of haunted mazes year after year. This year, Kings Dominion decided to take action in order to prevent problems with the young teens. “Over the past two years, there have been increasing incidents of unruly and inappropriate behavior across our industry and at other major entertainment venues,” said director of communications Geoff Zindren. 

During a Halloween Haunt event intro concert in 2018, teenagers were caught in the Kings Dominion Eiffel Tower spitting and throwing ice down to an unsuspecting crowd of park goers. Due to this, they had to shut down the tower for three-years before reopening.

To combat incidents like this, the chaperone policy was enacted in April of 2023, stating ages 15 or younger, must be accompanied by an adult that is at least 21 years or older. “It is stupid smart,” said 15 year old Sophomore Jenny López. “It makes sense but I’m 15 right now so I might be a bit biased. Like, how many 15 year olds are going to be mature at an amusement park?” said López.

Halloween screams are hiding right around the corner, can this policy hold the test of time or will it be determined to be inconvenient and nerve racking.