The Student News Site of Stafford High School

SHS Publications

SHS Publications

SHS Publications

Old Dominion Humane Society

Old Dominion Humane Society showing love to all in Stafford County
photo by ODHS
Desiree from ODHS

All across the country, animal shelters continue to help animals survive creatively and efficiently. From helping the underfed to giving teens work experience in a realistic environment, The Old Dominion Humane Society does it all. 

“We have never met a group of people so dedicated and caring about animals,” said Neil M, a reviewer on Yelp.

The ODHS works as a shelter in the Stafford area to help newly stray pets. They go to extreme lengths to protect the animals on our streets; so much so that they often see themselves overcrowded with not enough space for all the animals to go.

Earlier this month Stafford County Public Schools were given a real-life dog mascot from ODHS to represent their school. Stafford High School’s mascot is Desiree!

The owner of The Old Dominion Humane Society has been working at her goal since she was a teenager.  “My friend told me about ODHS and how you can go through an orientation to volunteer and then do whatever it is that you want to do.” says owner Chrissy Blake. 

Her heart is pure and her funding for a good cause is taking animals off the streets all over Stafford county. Despite their current issue of being fully stocked with animals, the ODHS is still helping the community in the ways they can by supplying food. 

“With my schedule, I like to come and go when I can. Sometimes I go over for a couple of hours when I have a weekday off and it really helps out.” 

The overpopulation in the mammal pet community may not seem like a big deal, and maybe it’s not but without shelters there would be animals on every corner. 

According to Mrs. Kruk the shelter is only housing dogs for the time being.  

If interested in adoption, you can go on the website (HOME | ODHS (olddominionhumanesociety.org) and click on the “Available Dogs”. It will show all of their pictures, a video and a description about them that includes age, weight, female/male and some of the things about them. You can put in an application that will be reviewed and hopefully followed up by a meet and greet!