The Student News Site of Stafford High School

SHS Publications

SHS Publications

SHS Publications

Updated: Principal Allen Hicks to leave Stafford High School; search for new principle begins

Principal Allen Hicks announces he is leaving SHS
photo by Richard Oti
Mr. Hicks tackles former Assistant Principal Mr. Diggs during a pep rally!

On October 10, 2023 at 8:04am Principal Allen Hicks sent an email to the students, faculty and parents of Stafford high school announcing that he has accepted a new position in another school district. He will be leaving Stafford on October 23, 2023.

In his email he expresses the joy he has had working at Stafford and also expresses his pride in how far the SHS T.RI.B.E. have come as a community during his run. The email read as follows, “It has been my honor and pleasure to work with our students, staff, families, and the community as Principal of Stafford High School these last few years. After much thought, personal reflection, and professional guidance, I must let you know that I have accepted a new position as in another school system.” 

Further into the email Hicks wrote, “As I step out of this role and the school division looks to appoint a new principal, the assistant principals will be available if you need any assistance. When an interim principal is named, you will be notified of the appointment. I am honored to have been a part of this work and will carry my experiences and partnerships from Stafford Schools to my new role.” Almost half an hour later an email from Stafford County School Board was sent out explaining what will happen now that Stafford High School is losing their principal.

In this email. the board explained that anyone with any issue or concerns should contact their child’s teacher, assistant principal, or counselor. The email also stated that parents are welcome to submit what qualities and qualifications they think the next principal should have. The email also informer readers that an informational meeting will be held on October 17, from 6:00-7:00 p.m, at Stafford High School to discuss any concerns, questions, and/or input the community may have about the incoming interim principal.

Hicks was appointed to the role of principal in 2020, and he helped lead the school population through the Coronavirus pandemic. Most recently, he was named 2023 Principal of the Year by Stafford County Public Schools.

UPDATE! (October 23, 2023 at 7:52pm)

On October 23, 2023 at 5:35pm Principal Allen Hicks sent out an email to the SHS community notifying them about  the search for a new principal. In this email, he expressed his pleasure working with the SHS community and wrote, “Thank you for the support you have provided me over the last few years. It has been a great pleasure serving as your principal.” Hicks then wrote, “The goals that we have achieved in support of student success would not have been possible without your partnership.”

Hicks goes on to mention his email from October 10, 2023 that informed the SHS community about his new position outside of Stafford County Public Schools and the details about his last day at SHS. He expressed the need for a strong leadership position at Stafford High School by writing, “As the search process for the new principal of Stafford High School continues, it is important to me that I continue to partner with our Stafford High Team and division level leadership to ensure a smooth transition.” Hicks goes on to write, “ as a result, my last day with our Stafford High School family will now be November 10, 2023.”

Hicks included the email of Dr. Marcie Rice, Executive Director of High School Leadership, who should be contacted if there should be any questions regarding the search for an Interim Principal.