On top of grading, planning, and managing behaviors, Stafford High School teachers have a knack for cooking.

SHS Staffers Share their Savory Specials

March 9, 2023

The Smoke Signal has curated a myriad of recipes from Stafford High School teachers who love to cook. They were willing to share the beloved foods – from robust chicken soups to delectably sweet Bundt cakes – in hopes of providing delicacies that you, the student, may have never tried. We hope that you enjoy these delicious creations and enjoy the short stories behind them.

Soup for the SHS Soul

Chicken and Rice Soup. (photo by Marco Verch / Flickr)

Ms. Pettijohn’s Chicken and Rice Soup

A deliciously robust recipe that is sure to bring you warmth in these colder months. Made with fresh chicken and beautiful aromatics, this chicken soup is sure to be a hit.

Cook time: 75 minutes

Puerto-Rican Perfection

Puerto Rican Mofongo (photo by tablespoon.com)

Mrs. Cintrón’s Puerto Rican Mofongo

One of Mrs. Sidney Cintrón’s favorite dishes is Puerto-Rican Mofongo, she will usually have it 2-3 times a year. This dish can be perfect for a quick and simple lunch or just for some Spanish spice.

Cook time: 75 minutes

Not Your Average Spam

Mr. Tolentino’s Spam Fried Rice. (photo by David Tolentino )

Mr. Tolentino’s Spam Fried Rice

An easy lunch or small dinner of a classic spam, rice, and eggs. One of Mr. David Tolentino’s favorite dishes is this modern quasi-fusion meal.

Cook time: Varies

A Sweet Scandinavian Surprise

1960’s newspaper article on Christmas Breads that inspired Mrs. Susan Whitehead’s mother to begin a family coking tradition. (photo by Susan Whited )

Mrs. Whited’s Scandinavian Christmas Bread

Mrs. Susan Whited makes this bread every year during Christmas time. This bread recipe was passed down to Mrs. Whited from her mother, who found it in a newspaper in the 1960’s. Every year, Mrs. Whited likes to share this food with her friends and family. 

Prep time: 2 hours 15 minutes

Cook time: 20 to 25 minutes

Comfort Challah

Challah Bread (photo by Adam Fagen / Flickr)

Mr. Neff’s Challah Bread Recipe

Make way for the delightful fluffy challah bread, sure to bring you joy with its sweet aroma and delightfully light flavor.

Cook time: 35 minutes