The Student News Site of Stafford High School

SHS Publications

SHS Publications

SHS Publications

A Meatless Thanksgiving…Could you do it?

Vegans willingly stick to their plant-based diet each and every day, but is it really worth it during the holidays?
photo by Sienna Green

As the month of November comes to an end, most people across the country will have turkey roasting in the oven, gravy bubbling on the stove, and rolls rising on the counter. However, according to census.gov, out of the 335 million people living in the US, 1.6 million will have to substitute their entire meal just to say they “participate” in the holiday we all know as Thanksgiving. 

I’m sure many of us have thought about what it would be like to be a vegan if we ever considered converting to one. But I’m sure not many have thought of eating a plant-based diet around the holidays. There are just so many delicious foods we would have to give up. Instead of having delicious turkey, vegans view tofu as the star attraction and one of their only options. Being vegan requires so much dedication and for what reward?

I don’t know how people do it. I could never be a vegan.

— Sophie Wright, SHS Sophomore

“I don’t regret switching over to becoming a vegan. But it’s definitely difficult especially around Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter to see all the amazing dishes being made that I can’t eat,” sophomore Hailey Higgins says. 

Why do it? There is no law that says we have to wave the white flag and eat like a vegan. “Even though it’s a sacrifice, I choose to be a vegan because it helps with my health. I also do it to help the environment,” Higgins adds.

Though it may be a healthier way to live, some people see it as “the impossible”.

“I don’t know how people do it. I could never be a vegan. Giving up something like meat is something I don’t even want to try. I don’t even know what I would substitute instead of eating steak, ribs, or chicken,” sophomore Sophie Wright says. 

Vegan Stuffed Seitan Roast / The Daily Vegan

Vegans have to bend over backwards just to have a three course meal everyday. Seriously, how do they do it? Not only do vegans not eat meat, they also can’t consume any animal products. Things like eggs, milk, and butter are all off the table for vegans. If you’ve ever baked a cake, you know that all of these ingredients are crucial but cannot be used. The amount of accommodations needed to be followed are out of this world. If these ingredients are needed for just a cake, imagine what it would be like for a whole feast. I may be able to eat like a vegan for a few days, but during the holidays I see it as nearly impossible. 

It’s very doable for millions to steer clear of meat and dairy products. Others struggle to even think about dismissing such staple items from their diet. Do you think you would be able to survive as a vegan?