The Student News Site of Stafford High School

SHS Publications

SHS Publications

SHS Publications

Switching Lenses

The illusion of social media is blurring society’s vision of reality.
Tanaia Traynham
Cameras of Then v. Now
photo by Ava Brizendine

Our social media persona is often very different from who we are in real life and the line between the two is blurring as our generation becomes more digital by the day. How does our school fit into this?

Shielded by insecurity, humanity is often two-faced. On one side, you see the purest of yourself, on the other, you see the life everyone wishes they had. Up to 64% of Americans today think social media is hurting our country’s well-being. The consequences of our day-to-day life live on forever through social media platforms

Oftentimes, our school is seen as wealthy, dirty, and dramatic. There is so much more to our school than what is videotaped and remembered through the media.

“Almost every day I fall victim or witness inconsiderate people who cut off everyone else because they think they’re special and more important than everyone else,” said Aaron P. through a review left on yelp of Stafford High School.

When asked her goal when battling social media as Stafford High School’s principal, Mrs. Tryon gave a very honest reply.  “I want a place where everyone is proud to be at,” She voiced.

“Have you read the Stafford counties sheriff daily report?” she asked. 

“How often do you see Stafford Indians. . . all the time,” Ms Tryon shared disappointedly. Desperate to follow up on her statement, we found that the reality of our school’s reputation is very known. We asked some of the students here about what they thought and they were quick to admit their faults. 

“I would say at least one thing happens here every few weeks, ‘ ‘ Denae Lardge, sophomore at Stafford High says. Adding to her previous comment, Ms Tryon added, “It does give us a perception that we don’t have our crap together.”

When talking about overall comparison between social media and reality, we come to see a lot of the negative is lingering socially. This goes to show that the everlasting permanence of social media will forever reside in the back of our minds. 

Donate to SHS Publications
$100
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment, attend education conferences, and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Donate to SHS Publications
$100
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal