The Student News Site of Stafford High School

SHS Publications

SHS Publications

SHS Publications

Light Bulbs

Hallowzine Submission

The lights flickered once again. They really should do something about that. I let out a sigh and glance at the slightly smudged piece of paper Liam (at least, that’s what I think his name was) handed to me on the way out. Though, saying “handed” is a very generous way of saying it. A far more accurate term would be “thrown”. 

The main issue I have with this piece of paper isn’t that it was thrown at me though. Liam said it was important, but I can’t even read a single word on it. The handwriting is atrocious. And that’s saying a lot when you have my handwriting. I shake my head in annoyance, before pocketing the paper. I really need to get back to cleaning this building. 

I grab the mop that I left lying against the wall and dip it into its bucket. Something I’ve noticed about this building is that everything about it was old. I let out another sigh, pressing back my uneasiness once again. Nothing was wrong with an old building that housed old stuff. I was just being sens 

I’m unable to finish that line of thought once the lights flicker once, twice, and then go completely out, plunging me into complete darkness. Call me whatever you like, but I’ve never been fond of the dark, especially if I’m stuck in some old, spooky building. Sure, I could take the coward’s way out and say that I’m scared of what’s in the dark, but I’m not sure that’s true. Things went missing in the dark. You see things that aren’t actually there in the dark. And most importantly, bad things in general just seem to happen when it gets dark. I grip my mop tighter, regretting my visit to the horror side of Youtube I took a few hours ago. 

Suddenly, the lights flash on again, followed by the lightbulb above me shattering. I stumble away and utter a curse, blinking at the sudden brightness. I’m no expert, but I’m pretty sure this isn’t normal lightbulb behavior. 

I gripped my mop tighter, squinting under the harsh light. Was it brighter than usual, or was I just being paranoid? I let out a sigh, trying to calm my nerves. It was just an old building. Strange things were bound to happen. I was just getting panicky over nothing. Stuff like that usually happens when I’m alone. I gritted my teeth, walking past the shattered lightbulb. 

The light bulbs flickering was probably just bad electricity. The sudden coldness? Bad ac? I’m starting to regret taking this job. The entire hiring process felt sketchy, but I needed money. 

I start mopping again, humming a calming tune. The lights flicker once again, and I try to ignore the sound of footsteps. After all, no one else is working here.

…Right?